The WOW! project aims to make the transition to a more circular approach by matching supply and demand of cellulose, lipids and bioplastics (PHA) from sewage.
The following activities are part of the project:
- Identify high potential value chains for raw materials from sewage.
- Develop a Decision Support Tool that guides sewage treatment plants in their transition towards a circular approach on sewage.
- Build and run three WOW! pilots to optimize and implement innovative recovery and upcycling techniques.
- Create bioproducts made out of sewage, such as bioplastics, biofuel and bio-char.
- Create national policy action plans and an EU policy roadmap.
- -Development of a decision support tool to guide wastewater treatment plants in their transition to a circular economy approach.
- -Construction and commissioning of three production pilots WOW! in order to optimize and implement innovative recovery and recycling techniques.
- -Creation of bioproducts made from wastewater such as bioplastics, biofuels and coal for agricultural use.
- -Creation of political action roadmaps at national and European level.
- Water authority Vallei en Veluwe (coordinateur)
- Wupperverbandsgesellschaft für integrale Wasserwirtschaft
- Technische Universität Kaiserlautern
- Université du Luxembourg
- Avans University of Applied Sciences
- REMONDIS Aqua Industrie
- Pulsed Heat
- Severn Trent Water
- 2 partners
- Budget of 6,4 M€
- Financiers: NWE Interreg
- Execution period: 2018 – 2021
NaturePlast is focusing on the state of the art on PHA and the market potential for PHA-bioplastics.
NaturePlast is also leader of R&D operations for the formulation and compounds production based on the PHAs produced by the WOW! pilot. Thanks to its expertise and dedicated equipments, NaturePlast will process and characterize the PHAs obtained from waste water.